May 12, 2007

The Bourgeois Pig

122 East 7th Street
(212) 475-2246

Bourgeois Pig West
124 Macdougal Street
(212) 254-0575

I like this place so much that I debated whether to write about it. I've been to both branches several times and mysteriously, they aren't as crowded as they should be for how good and cheap they are. I call this mysterious because as we know, this is New York, and as soon as something comes along that is truly, sincerely good on many levels, word will get out and it will soon be choked with throngs of people (Exhibit Z: The Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden in Astoria) and no longer be accessible or good. I don't want this to happen to the Bourgeois Pig. Ever. It would break my prole little heart.

After giving the matter some thought, however, it occurred to me that my blog, with its casual readership of four, is unlikely to bring about this turn of events. So sing the Pig's praises I will, and loudly.

The first thing you need to know is that there are five kinds of fondue, and all of them are delicious, particularly the blue cheese and the raclette. And the the dippables — which include not only the standard bread and potatoes but also cauliflower, apples, roasted peppers, and cornichons (emphasis added to indicate superiority of taste experience) — are served on a wooden slab shaped like a pig. Awesome. (Some of the appetizers, in particular the strawberry bruschetta, are really tasty, too.)

The next thing you need to know is that they have reasonably priced bottles of wine. And all night on Mondays and Tuesdays, before 7PM on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and before 6 PM on Fridays, these already-reasonable bottles of wine are half-price. I've gone there with a group, split a few bottles of wine and two orders of fondue, and walked out only $25 more proletariat (and that includes tip). You can't beat that. You just can't.

To sum: Run, don't walk, to the Bourgeois Pig. Just don't beat me to a table.

Read more about the Bourgeois Pig:

Official Web site
Citysearch
MenuPages
Yelp

1 comment:

Tara Dairman said...

There's one in the West Village too? Exciting! The one in the East was everything you said the one time I had the pleasure of going...