April 26, 2007

Sripraphai

64-13 39th Avenue
(718) 899-9599

This one's a total no brainer. Sripraphai has the best, most authentic Thai food in New York (so they tell me, anyway; I've never been to Thailand to experience the real deal firsthand). It's tasty as hell, it's cheap, and the surroundings are devoid of hipness and pretension. Word to the wise: Don't try to be macho about your spice tolerance. Sripraphai will win this ego battle, and you will cry through your meal and for several hours afterward. The lowest levels of spiciness are totally adequate to the non-Thai palate.

Be sure to try one or more of the desserts in the refrigerator case by the counter. The milkier and more gelatinous, the yummier.

Read more about Sripraphai:

Citysearch
New York Magazine
New York Times
Time Out New York
Yelp

1 comment:

Tara Dairman said...

I know I had very authentic, VERY spicy Thai once in Woodside...but I don't think I've ever been to Sripraphai! Maybe it was at another place, or maybe I'm misremembering. What I do remember is that whatever the appetizer was made me cry from the spiciness, and that at the end of the meal bfA accidentally chose a dessert with dessicated fish in it. Oops.